Chat with Greg Farshtey

Page 922

I'm afraid you are mistaken, Duplex; I followed through on that post and laid out the arguments BZP members made for and against Vastus being a secret agent. Greg considered those arguments and decided against it.

Dear Mr Farshtey!

Couldn't really miss this (probably) last opportunity to say a huge thank you. I am eternally grateful for the BIONICLE universe which you populated with some of the greatest heroes of my childhood. To this day, the fantastic world of the Toa, Matoran and Makuta still inspires, motivates and excites me on so many levels. The figures, official ones as well as MOCs; the epic movies, the games, the comics, and - last but certainly not least - your amazing novels, which were as vital to the (Matoran) universe as, well, the Matoran Smile I thank you for this wonderful part of my childhood: the world of BIONICLE, which I still love to explore (and still manage to discover new secrets in every time I set out to do so!) Thank you for all of this - it is a gift that I will carry with me forever.

All the best for the future!

Hi Greg,

 

If I recall correctly, the reason you once stated that Brutaka wasn't cured by Mata Nui was because Lewa cannot speak Agori in Reign of Shadows. That was because, you confirmed, the walls of the GB fortress were shielded from the language "download" Mata Nui sent out to the MU inhabitants. Because the shield blocked that power from reaching Brutaka and company, someone asked if the shield also blocked Mata Nui's mutation cure, which you confirmed (after originally stating, a few months earlier, that he was cured). There appears to be a contradiction in this, but there doesn't have to be. Maybe there something different about the mutation cure than the language download that allowed it to pass through the tower's shield?

 

Regardless - with all this in mind, could you confirm if and why Brutaka was cured, but the language download was blocked? Just for clarity's sake.

 

Sorry for the intense questioning; BS01 just likes to be absolutely certain about things. Thank you for all you've done for Bionicle.

I have to admit, when I saw the name "Greg Farshtey", I was like, "Who on Earth is Greg Farshtey?". Then I kept reading and when I read "the storytelling mind behind BIONICLE and Ninjago" I was like, "Oooh. Greg Farshtey is awesome!". So, Greg Farshtey, I am sorry for not knowing who you are, and I just want to say this: Ninjago is awesome!Happy

Toad0013 wrote:

Hello again,

 

1) Does the Miru Nuva still benefit Lewa, even when he can naturally fly as a Phantoka via his adaptive armour? 

2) Would the Mask of Light, which can reconcile enemies by giving them understanding, work on Teridax or other particularly cunning villians (like Roodaka or Zaktan)? 

3) Who is your second-favorite BIONICLE villain?

 

Thanks again for the writing, and for answering our questions for so long! 

I think this got buried; hope it's okay to repost this. 

Greg Farshtey, I'm have all Matoran from Matoran Universe, including:

 

-Norik, lives in Northern Continent

 

-Gaaki, lives in Northern Continent

 

-Iruini, lives in Artakha (Location)

 

-Pouks, lives in Southern Continent

 

-Bomonga, lives in Artakha (Location)

 

-Kualus, lives in Southern Continent

 

For BIONICLEsector01.

MooCowsRock wrote:

Mr. Farshtey:

 

Firstly, I would like to thank you very much for answering all these questions for so long. It means a lot to me and a whole bunch of BIONICLE fans. Thanks.

 

Second, I have a few questions about Kaita:

 

1) Can only MU inhabitants form Kaita?

2) What inhabitants of the MU can form Kaita? The ones we know for sure are Toa, Matoran, Turaga, Bohrok (and maybe Bohrok Va, but I'm not quite sure), Bohrok-Kal, and Rahkshi. Can Skakdi form Kaita? Can Makuta? Can Vortixx?

3) Also, are Kaita only formable between three beings of the same species?

4) In regards to Bohrok Kaita, do the Krana of the three constituent Bohrok fuse as well to make a Krana Kaita, or do they stay separate with only one of them controlling the entire Kaita? For that matter, what about Kraata in a Rahkshi Kaita?

5) There are also the fusions called Matoran Nui and Turaga Nui, made by six Matoran or Turaga. Can any other beings form Nui fusions? Is there such a thing as a Toa Nui or a Rahkshi Nui?

6) The masks of the Toa Mata (and, subsequently, the Toa Nuva) fused into one mask when they formed Kaita. Is there any way to fuse three masks into one "Kanohi Kaita" without making a Toa, Matoran, or Turaga Kaita? Could maybe the Spear of Fusion accomplish this?

Possibly buried...?

Hi Mr. Farshtey,

 

First of all, I'd like to sincerely thank you. I'm sure I speak for many when I say your work touched my childhood in a tremendous way, and I will always be grateful for that. Please know that the time you take out of your day for us does not go unnoticed. 

 

On another note, we at BS01 are very much interested in staying in touch with you. When you have the chance, could you please drop us a line at biosector01 at outlook? The three people with access to the account are Swert (owner of BS01), Dorek (BS01's LUG Ambassador), and SPIRIT (host of the BS01 Podcast), and they are all over 13.

 

Best wishes,

Morris the Mata Nui Cow and the rest of the BS01 Staff

I would just like to say thank you Greg for all you have done. I really appreciate it all.

-MAresj

ScribeGT6817 wrote:
EHW2 wrote:

Dear Greg, I have a proposition for you that I've been thinking about for a while and have decided to tell with the LMBs closing down. Your writing is amazing and has inspired me to write some of my own stuff.

 

Wouldn't it make sense for the Great Beings to have one of their number in the Matoran Universe to report back to them and tell them what's going on? 

To me, it would. If Great Beings can pose as matoran(as shown with Velika) it would make sense that they would have one posing as a matoran. Now, you might ask, why didn't this spy tell the Great Beings about the Great Cataclysm? 

 

What I'm getting to is, what if Kapura was actually a Great Being assigned by them to report back on the matoran universe. This would explain his strange ability of teleportation(maybe he made a special matoran body so that he could view the entire matoran universe via teleportation). It would also answer my question of why the spy wouldn't tell the Great Beings about the Cataclysm as his mind was wiped when he was put in a matoran sphere.

 

What do you think? Thank you for your time and for writing all those amazing stories.

It's a nice idea, but I don't think the GBs would have seen that as necessary. Remember, when the robot left, the Matoran were not sapient -- they were just drones, basically. So there was no real reason the GBs needed to know what was going on, plus they couldn't have fixed anything that went wrong from where they were anyway.

The Toa and various other beings were sapient at the time as well. If the GBs built Marendar as a failsafe to extinguish the Toa once they came to Spherus Magna in case they rebelled then wouldn't it make sense for them to have a failsafe in case they rebelled inside the MU itself? 

SurelNuva wrote:
ScribeGT6817 wrote:
SurelNuva wrote:
SurelNuva wrote:
OnionShark wrote:
SurelNuva wrote:

So, according to the Bionicle World Spiriah tempered with the Skakdi more than 70,000 years ago. The evolution of the Makuta was 40,000/30,000 years ago, which was the reason (as I remember) to have the Toa Hagah teams.

How did Spiriah have a Toa Hagah team, if his exile was long before the evolution? Or had the Makuta Toa Hagah teams before the event?

I checked every piece of Bionicle media that contains Toa Hagah (not as many as you'd think), and none of them say that the Toa Hagah were employed for that, so there's no reason to think that Spiriah didn't have a Toa Hagah team.

still, we don't know, when they were employed. And what was the reason to employ them, if not the evolution?

 

Buried..

I am not sure why the evolution would have required the creation of Toa Hagah teams. The Makuta have not struck me as particularly vulnerable since then. But, frankly, why should Makuta have to be bothered with every potential threat to themselves, when they could have Toa handle it for them? When you are powerful and influential, you don't dirty your hands, you hire people to do that for you.

Every Toa Hagah teams were created in the same time? 

If they were created at the same time, it would have to be before 70,000 to 75,000 years ago since that's when Spiriah was exiled, and after 80,000 years ago because Norik wouldn't have joined until after Varian was captured by the DH, which in turn were formed some point between 70,000 to 80,000 years ago.

 
EHW2 wrote:

Dear Greg, I have a proposition for you that I've been thinking about for a while and have decided to tell with the LMBs closing down. Your writing is amazing and has inspired me to write some of my own stuff.

 

Wouldn't it make sense for the Great Beings to have one of their number in the Matoran Universe to report back to them and tell them what's going on? 

To me, it would. If Great Beings can pose as matoran(as shown with Velika) it would make sense that they would have one posing as a matoran. Now, you might ask, why didn't this spy tell the Great Beings about the Great Cataclysm? 

 

What I'm getting to is, what if Kapura was actually a Great Being assigned by them to report back on the matoran universe. This would explain his strange ability of teleportation(maybe he made a special matoran body so that he could view the entire matoran universe via teleportation). It would also answer my question of why the spy wouldn't tell the Great Beings about the Cataclysm as his mind was wiped when he was put in a matoran sphere.

 

What do you think? Thank you for your time and for writing all those amazing stories.

It's a nice idea, but I don't think the GBs would have seen that as necessary. Remember, when the robot left, the Matoran were not sapient -- they were just drones, basically. So there was no real reason the GBs needed to know what was going on, plus they couldn't have fixed anything that went wrong from where they were anyway.


The Toa and various other beings were sapient at the time as well. If the GBs built Marendar as a failsafe to extinguish the Toa once they came to Spherus Magna in case they rebelled then wouldn't it make sense for them to have a failsafe in case they rebelled inside the MU itself? 

Then it would have made more sense to have another Marendar within the MU, not a lone GB in a Matoran body. Plus, if Kapura were a GB, he would have known how to summon the Toa to Mata Nui and Takua wouldn't have had to do it.

MooCowsRock wrote:
MooCowsRock wrote:

Mr. Farshtey:

 

Firstly, I would like to thank you very much for answering all these questions for so long. It means a lot to me and a whole bunch of BIONICLE fans. Thanks.

 

Second, I have a few questions about Kaita:

 

1) Can only MU inhabitants form Kaita?

2) What inhabitants of the MU can form Kaita? The ones we know for sure are Toa, Matoran, Turaga, Bohrok (and maybe Bohrok Va, but I'm not quite sure), Bohrok-Kal, and Rahkshi. Can Skakdi form Kaita? Can Makuta? Can Vortixx?

3) Also, are Kaita only formable between three beings of the same species?

4) In regards to Bohrok Kaita, do the Krana of the three constituent Bohrok fuse as well to make a Krana Kaita, or do they stay separate with only one of them controlling the entire Kaita? For that matter, what about Kraata in a Rahkshi Kaita?

5) There are also the fusions called Matoran Nui and Turaga Nui, made by six Matoran or Turaga. Can any other beings form Nui fusions? Is there such a thing as a Toa Nui or a Rahkshi Nui?

6) The masks of the Toa Mata (and, subsequently, the Toa Nuva) fused into one mask when they formed Kaita. Is there any way to fuse three masks into one "Kanohi Kaita" without making a Toa, Matoran, or Turaga Kaita? Could maybe the Spear of Fusion accomplish this?

Possibly buried...?

1) Yes

2) A lot of beings potentially can, like Makuta, but don't because they do not want to surrender their individual identities. So it is just not something they ever even consider doing.

3) Yes

4) They would have to merge too

5) No, there are no other Nuis I am aware of.

6) Possibly, but no one has attempted it

Toad0013 wrote:
Toad0013 wrote:

Hello again,

 

1) Does the Miru Nuva still benefit Lewa, even when he can naturally fly as a Phantoka via his adaptive armour? 

2) Would the Mask of Light, which can reconcile enemies by giving them understanding, work on Teridax or other particularly cunning villians (like Roodaka or Zaktan)? 

3) Who is your second-favorite BIONICLE villain?

 

Thanks again for the writing, and for answering our questions for so long! 

I think this got buried; hope it's okay to repost this. 

1) Well, Miru Nuva was never a mask of flight, it was levitation. And it allows him to levitate everyone around him, which his adaptive armor would not do.

2) It would depend on their level of willpower. If they have the will to resist it, then no.,

3) Oh, I don't know

PointlessQuestions wrote:

Hi Greg,

 

If I recall correctly, the reason you once stated that Brutaka wasn't cured by Mata Nui was because Lewa cannot speak Agori in Reign of Shadows. That was because, you confirmed, the walls of the GB fortress were shielded from the language "download" Mata Nui sent out to the MU inhabitants. Because the shield blocked that power from reaching Brutaka and company, someone asked if the shield also blocked Mata Nui's mutation cure, which you confirmed (after originally stating, a few months earlier, that he was cured). There appears to be a contradiction in this, but there doesn't have to be. Maybe there something different about the mutation cure than the language download that allowed it to pass through the tower's shield?

 

Regardless - with all this in mind, could you confirm if and why Brutaka was cured, but the language download was blocked? Just for clarity's sake.

 

Sorry for the intense questioning; BS01 just likes to be absolutely certain about things. Thank you for all you've done for Bionicle.

Yes, Brutaka is cured.